Think Kidneys has developed practical resources to raise awareness and help with the prevention, detection and management of AKI in care homes. The work was done by a cross-professional group comprising health care assistants, nurses, dieticians, care home managers, commissioners, hydration specialists and academics.
The following document is an educational guide, divided into simple sections to enable the reader to develop their knowledge of AKI:
The following document is an educational slide set. It is easy to follow and can be used for individual or group learning. The link below is to a PDF of the slideset.
If you would like to download a version to edit, you can access the slides in PowerPoint version to edit here
Practical guide to AKI – a pocket sized guide containing useful information for community workers
A pilot project by Think Kidneys set out to increase awareness of AKI among care home staff as a way of helping them improve the prevention, detection, management and treatment of the condition:
Additional Think Kidneys Resources
Information and training for managers and staff in care homes to help prevent, detect, treat and manage acute kidney injury.
- Communities at risk of developing acute kidney injury
- Medicines Optimisation for AKI
- Sick Day Guidance Statement
- Think Kidneys Nutrition Guide
- The use of oliguria to detect AKI position statement
- Understanding what the public know about their kidneys
- Video: Almost everything you need to know about your kidneys
- Why measure? The importance of data
- Info leaflet for patients at risk of AKI
- Info leaflet for patients at risk of AKI – for print
- Info leaflet for patients who have had AKI
- Info leaflet for patients who have had AKI – for print
- Acute Kidney Injury Easy Read leaflet – Easy read is an accessible format of providing information designed for people with a learning disability. The easy read format is easy to understand because it uses simple, jargon free language, shorter sentences and supporting images.
Links to external resources
- Birmingham Urine Analysis Tool
- Drinks Examples
- Hot Drinks Examples
- Hydration Poster
- Leeds Cups Posters
- Prosper Hydration Poster
- Urine Infection Symptoms
Think Kidneys App
We have an app containing many of the Think Kidneys resources. Download your app here: